Funky Buddha Brewery, located in Oakland Park, Florida, is seeking a a full-time cellar operator to join its growing team
Established in 2010 at our Boca Raton brewpub, Funky Buddha is known for combining traditional brewing methods with culinary-inspired recipes utilizing all natural, food-centric ingredients. Some of its most well-known beers include flagships Hop Gun IPA and Floridian Hefeweizen, Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, No Crusts Peanut Butter and Jelly Brown Ale, and Last Snow Coffee Porter.
Funky Buddha’s production brewery - opened in June 2013 - features a 30bbl, four vessel brewhouse and is currently annualizing over 35,000 bbls in sales, with projections to grow to over 45,000 bbls by the end of 2016. Production includes draught and bottled beer distributed throughout the state of Florida. This fast growing company is the first production brewery in the greater Fort Lauderdale area and the largest brewery in South Florida, and is positioned for rapid expansion over the next few years.
“Where the Best Beers Are – Top 20 Brewpubs/Breweries for good beer” – USA Today
“24 American Microbreweries Every Beer Lover Should Know” – Business Insider
“10 Best Breweries to Visit in the South” – First We Feast
A cellar operator is responsible for all aspects of processes related to fermentation, conditioning, treatment, clarification, carbonation, and any other processes required to achieve a final product ready for packaging. This employee must be a hard working, responsible, and self-motivated individual with a passion for craft beer and a desire to continue learning and growing within the industry. The candidate should also be a sociable person who is comfortable occasionally representing the brewery in public. Natural leadership, integrity, loyalty, and a good sense of humor are all factors in who we hire.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assistance with yeast handling and management
- Cellaring duties including fermentation management
- Operation of centrifuge for beer clarification
- CIP (clean-in-place) of brewing and fermentation tanks, and other equipment
- Logging of all brewing related notes from brew day through fermentation, finishing, and packaging
- Following SOP (standard operating procedure) in each phase of brewing, fermentation, and packaging
- Maintaining clean brewing practices in the brewhouse and cellar
- Executing preventative maintenance on all brewhouse and cellar equipment
- Careful execution of treatment plans for specialty beers
- Preparation, filling, transfer of beer from liquor and wine barrels
- Assistance with lab testing and other Quality Assurance activities
- One years experience in a commercial production brewery or high-volume brew pub
- A strong passion for brewing and a desire to advance personal growth in the brewing industry
- Strong organizational habits, a self-motivated work ethic, and good critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Some understanding of all aspects of brewing including cellaring, yeast handling, CIP, and sanitization
- Flexibility in terms of hours and a willingness to work night shifts, weekends, and overtime
- Computer literate with an understanding of Microsoft Office/spreadsheet programs
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work as part of a team
EXPERIENCE IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING IS PREFERABLE
- An understanding of quality assurance (QA) methods and techniques, laboratory operations, and basic knowledge of chemistry and biology
- Prior packaging, bottling, and racking experience
- Mechanical experience and aptitude
- Forklift operation or certification
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl
- Heavy physical work including climbing stairs, climbing into tanks, pulling hoses, etc.
- Willing to work in wet, hot and cold conditions
- Willing to work in consistently loud environments
- Ability to work safely with potentially hazardous chemicals
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
Funky Buddha Brewery is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Compensation will be based on experience. Funky Buddha offers subsidized health insurance for full-time employees along with vision and dental benefits, paid vacation, and other paid benefits..
If you think you have what it takes to join this exciting and growing company, please apply by email below. Calls, letters, faxes, carrier pigeon, or personal visits will not be accepted.